Author Topic: CO2 Generator. Sugar and Water method  (Read 190 times)

Offline cowpie

• Administrator
  • Forum Heavy Hitter
CO2 Generator. Sugar and Water method
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
I was asked to put up a recipe for a CO2 generator that I used for a few years.
Using a 4 L milk jug that's filled about 2/3 full of warm water, add 2 to 3 cups of sugar and 3 tbls. of yeast. You can also add a tbls. of baking soda. Shake well with a lid on and then take the lid off. CO2 will start to form the next day. Put this in your cloches but make sure you shake it twice a day. They last for about a week. Empty them out and restart again. Remember CO2 is heavier than air so open your cloches from on top. One design that I saw used aquarium air hoses siliconed into the jug top and the hoses then positioned over plant so the CO2 falls over the plant.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:20:40 AM by cowpie »
PB 1350.5# 2015

Offline Lookajook

• Frequent Poster
Re: CO2 Generator. Sugar and Water method
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:56 AM »
Good info Phil.  Will add that EC 118  is a powerful yeast found at most wine/brew shops and your aquarium tube dripping that 'gaseous gold' is well served taped to the back of an occilating fan.  Homemade 'Trickle emiter' for those bigger plants;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:30:52 PM by Lookajook »
1626 LB pumpkin
486.6 -2011 WR squash
60 lb rutabaga
63.8 lb.cabbage
45 lb.kohlrabi

Offline Spudley

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:14 AM »
So are you taking a reading to know just how much CO2 is being released? After doing a quick Google search I found that the world wide CO2 average is around 400ppm. Desired amounts are in the 1000 to 1500 ppm range. Depending one what your growing and many other factors that will determine whether or not the added CO2 is beneficial. Just wondering is it cost effective and does it really give you that exponential growth you might be looking for?

Offline cowpie

• Administrator
  • Forum Heavy Hitter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »
Joel was speaking at the club seminar and he actually has an CO2 measuring device. Out of my price range but he was speaking about very high levels of CO2 in his green houses generated by grass clippings and fresh manure. As for myself I used the yeast and sugar method like the pot growers on youtube. Lots of good growers in that world. The reason being is simply the sizes of my small greenhouses. It really only costs less $2 a week to make a sugar water generator. One of those things that you're not too sure if it helped or not but I did end up with two new PB's the first year I tried it.
PB 1350.5# 2015