Author Topic: pumpkin cracks and "goober"  (Read 433 times)

Offline starting small

• Frequent Poster
pumpkin cracks and "goober"
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:49:52 AM »
Hello!
Have a good/bad  problem this fall.  kin is still growing and have never had one this big , hence not sure how to deal with the cracks and goobering.
have wiped ,dusted . fanned etc. Expect a couple of 70 degree days this week with 50 ish degree nights. do i stop all fert and go easy on water? or push it more? weighoffs are oct 1 in smokeylake and am wondering if gpc rules allow for cracks that dont go to cavity with goober. this is my first gpc weighoff. your help is much appreciated. patch still looks good .would harvesting now be a better option before a large crack appears?
thankyou!
If you find yourself at the bottom of a hole.....quit diggin"
pb 650 lb ag

Offline Ryan H

• Frequent Poster
Re: pumpkin cracks and "goober"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:20:19 AM »
It's always tough when you are near the finish line to figure out if you want to keep pushing the fruit or coast into the finish line. That's your call. I always push for every pound and I know that if I split it a week before a weighoff that I'm going to be fine with that..more fine than if I miss a weight by a few pounds at the weigh-off after coasting for two weeks prior.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the small cracks and ooze. I like to see that as I know the fruit is still growing larger. I've had one pumpkin this year that has had small beads on it for the last month. My white sheet is actually stuck to the dried sap once and a while. Once you cut the pumpkin for the weighoff it should stop oozing. Just dry it off before you go and you should be alright. Dusting with sulfur like you're doing and fanning is a good idea. I don't think you'll have an issues if you keep them dry.

On cool days now I'll actually give my pumpkin full sun for a few hours to warm up and dry out. A day with sun and no humidity will dry those cracks up nicely for you.

How deep are the cracks?

Offline starting small

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
hi ryan,
thanks for replying so quick. the biggest crack is 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. it is completely sealed with ooze that hasnt dried yet.
i'll check the kins twice daily and make a decision based on any new cracks forming. has anyone had luck with grafting wax or silicone rubber?
appreciated you input.
pb 650 lb ag

Offline Ryan H

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
That's not that deep. I was worried they were deeper.

I would just let them dry out for a couple reasons. One, the air will heal them up hard, and any filler or silicone's added will get you disqualified at your weigh-off.

Keep them dry and they'll be hard and healed in a few days. I remove the ooze and spray with peroxide to kill any funky stuff, then wipe dry after a minute or two and let the air and sun hit it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:45:17 PM by Ryan H »

Offline starting small

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 08:25:12 AM »
thanks for your help ryan! got pumpkins safely to smokylake and they both passed. 4th place at 915.5. woohoo!!
pb 650 lb ag